Eco Driving Training - What are the benefits?
It's been said that eco driving training courses not only help businesses and individuals to reduce fuel consumption, it also leads to a significant reduction in emissions and fuel costs. Training drivers to brake earlier and softer, accelerate more gently and to generally drive at moderate speeds has been discovered to be a predictor of lower collision risk.
Research into driving style and fuel consumption and emissions has proved that acceleration, speed change, braking, delayed gear changing from second to third and an engine speed above 3500 revs per minute are all factors in increased fuel consumption and emissions. However, driving at speeds between 30 and 45 miles per hour (50 and 70 km/h) and maintaining a steady engine speed will bring about a significant reduction in both fuel used and emissions.
If you're a business owner (however large or small) that uses vehicles (cars, vans or trucks) as part of your day to day business activates, then you may have a fleet of vehicles (or just a few) which means that fuel and vehicle maintenance represents a substantial business overhead for your company. Reducing the amount of fuel used by your company vehicles could lead to a measurable saving for your business, which could lower your operating costs. Why not consider sending your drivers on an eco driving course?
There are many benefits to businesses that can be derived from providing eco driving training for fleet drivers:
- Driving in a safe and environment friendly manner can lead to reductions in fuel bills of between 10% and 30%.
- Eco-friendly driving practices will also improve tyre and brake life which can bring about a reduction in maintenance and repair costs for your fleet.
- Eco friendly driving is safer driving and will lead to a reduction in collisions and the risk of collisions. This will mean a reduction in insurance claims by your company and could result in lower insurance premiums.
- Providing eco friendly driver training for your staff is a great way of showing that you care about their wellbeing - a great opportunity to raise morale in the workplace.
Eco driving training will not only benefit you and your business, it will bring benefits to the employees who undergo the training too. They can put what they learn into practice when driving their own personal vehicles too and benefit from:
- Less stress while driving
- Reduced fuel consumption with fewer (and cheaper) trips to the petrol station
- An increase in tyre and brake life
- Fewer insurance claims meaning lower premiums
- Lower on-going maintenance costs and the vehicle holding its value for longer
There are organizations all across the UK who provide eco driving training courses, it's just a matter of doing a quick web search to identify an eco driving training provider in your local business area. Many of these organizations offer training at a reduced rate (or even free) to businesses. Some local authorities are also collaborating with training providers to offer free eco driving training to business owners. What are you waiting for? Get your business up to speed in the eco driving arena now.